There are 4 essential components to maintain Accredited Membership
Continuing Professional Education
Each Accredited Member accepts the professional obligation to regularly update clinical skills and professional knowledge. The ATMS Continuing Education (CPE) Policy requires an Accredited Member to accumulate 20 CPE points per financial year, with each year being from 1 July to 30 June. Some Health Funds require at least 20 CPE hours/points per year directly related to the therapy concerned, to be completed within a membership year.
Current Professional Indemnity Insurance
Each Accredited Member must maintain a current professional indemnity insurance policy. Please ensure that there is no break or gap in cover, and that policy coverage is continuous for all periods. Members with break or gap in cover will lead to the loss of recognition with health funds.
Current First Aid Certificate
Each Accredited Member must maintain a current Provide First Aid certificate. Please ensure that there is no break or gap in cover, and that the Provide First Aid (or equivalent) certificate is continuous for all periods. Members with break or gap in cover will lead to the loss of recognition with health funds.
Payment of Membership Fees
The membership year for ATMS is 1 July to 30 June.
How to apply ?
Please attach certified photocopies of all qualification(s) and academic transcript(s). These documents may be certified by a (JP) Justice of the Peace, accountant, bank manager, solicitor, barrister, pharmacist, post office manager, judge, member of parliament, police officer. Providing certified photocopies in the first instance will assist in fast-tracking the assessment and accreditation process for you.
For all overseas-born applicants, please attach proof of permission to work in Australia (ie. Australian passport, citizenship certificate, permanent resident visa or passport number to verify work rights
Association membership does not guarantee health fund provider status. Health funds maintain their own requirements for provider status. Health funds do not recognise qualifications delivered substantially online, by distance, through correspondence or externally.They also do not recognise overseas qualifications. For health fund requirements, please refer to the Health Fund section of the ATMS website
The major benefits of ATMS Accredited membership include:
- Membership of Australia’s largest natural medicine association.
- Access to ATMS Certified collateral to use stating “ATMS Accredited Practitioner”, members can also use the ATMS logo with permission on clinic stationery, advertising etc.
- Potential eligibility for up to 43 health funds. (ATMS is recognised by all major health funds. However health funds set their own eligibility and actual eligibility depends on each person’s qualification.)
- Access to professional indemnity insurance cover offered exclusively to ATMS members, including skype/online consultations.
- Dedicated professional full time staff serving the needs of members.
- Exclusive access and subsidised entry to ATMS Continuing Professional Education (CPE) with a variety of Seminars held in capital cities and major regional centres
- Access to ATMS Special Events.
- Discounts to access professional Webinars – held throughout live throughout the year, members can also purchase recordings.
- Free subscription to the Journal of the Australian Traditional-Medicine Society (a peer review quarterly publication) – members can be eligible to have works published.
- A monthly enewsletter the ATMS Wise N Well – giving you the latest news, updates and important changes in the natural medicine industry.
- FREE access to the EBSCO Alternative Medicine research package. This valuable package includes access to over 1600 full text natural medicine and allopathic medicine journals. This package also includes FREE access to the EBSCO Rehabilitation Reference Center with 100s of evidence-based Clinical Summaries, nearly 10,000 Exercise Images and several textbooks. This package is a premium research service for accredited members. Access is also flexible with an iPhone app available.
- Lobbying with industry bodies, political parties and regulatory authorities on a wide range of issues affecting the practice of natural medicine.
- Practitioners, Clinics and Students can all apply for the ATMS + Nature & Health Awards, which recognise outstanding businesses and individuals who work in the natural medicine industry, for more on the awards click here.
- A practitioner referral service, where your details can be uploaded onto the ATMS ‘Find a Practitioner’ site with a link to the members’ professional practice website. The tool is advertised and promoted with national media outlets/publications to drive awareness and promote member practices.
- Free advertising in the Noticeboard section on the ATMS website.
- Merchandising Products, eg Marketing Postcards, Polo Shirts, Pens, with all products at or below cost price.
- Eligibility to apply for the Simon Schot Education Grant to receive one of 10 x $500 offered each year, which are advised and presented at the AGM.
- ATMS have started Natural Medicine Week (naturalmedicineweek.com.au), which is a weeklong event in May celebrating natural medicine in Australia. Practitioners and Clinics are invited to apply and host events or provide a special offer for the week. Details of what is on offer and practitioner contact details are uploaded onto the website and promoted on social media to help engage consumers to attend.
- Join a community of over 18,000 natural medicine enthusiasts on social media, for the latest events, updates and natural medicine news, studies, tips and insights.